Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My first challenge ....

.... for Creative Card Crew!!   This week, the theme is "cute and girlie" and we're sponsored by the wonderful MelJen's Designs - I think everyone in blogland must now be aware of her lovely digi stamps, with their distinctive swirls.  Check out what the other CCC girls have made - all gorgeous stuff!

I have tried and tried to use digis, but no matter what I do, my printer is not complying and when I try to colour, I am not happy with the results no matter what medium I use.  I found a site last night that recommends washing the printed image under the tap to remove some of the excess ink, has anyone tried that?  I'd love to know if it is worth a shot.

Anyway, moan over, back to my card:


I've also entered this in this week's Sugar Bowl (DIY - participants can use whatever past sketch they wish - I've gone for No. 30), Daring Cardmakers (It's a Girl Thing), Paper Sundaes (stitching) and Basic Grey Challenges (stitching).

I used this beautiful Sugar Nellie girl by Leanne Ellis and coloured with distress inks - love the soft pinks and greeny/blues of the BG Olivia papers, my favourites at the moment, I think.  I stickled bits of the image and used glossy accents on the leaves, particularly on the ones I cut out, to strengthen them.  Here's a close-up:


Recipe:
Stamp: Leanne Ellis "Belle Flower" for Sugar Nellie
Papers: Basic Grey "Olivia"
Colouring Medium: Distress Inks
Other: Doily and ribbon from stash, stickles, glossy accents, needle + thread

Thanks for looking - and don't forget to enter my blog candy (click here) - only 6 days left!!!

17 comments :

Timi said...

Julie, congrats!! this card is georgeous. I just love the papers and the image. Beautiful. Timixx

Denise @ kc242 said...

Hi Julie! I love your card. Your image is colored beautifully.
Denise

Fiona said...

lovely card...one of my favourite stamps...fab job with the stitching.

fi
x

Pattie said...

I love the soft colors here and what a cute image. Great job on the stitching too...thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes this week! (I like the name of your blog too!)

Lori said...

Beautiful card, Julie!!! I LOVE what you did with the Olivia dp : )

Love and hugs ~
Lori

Alica said...

so soft and pretty! Lovely colors and great job on stitching!
Thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes this week!

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

Wonderful card. I love how you cut the flowers out of the panels. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks so much for playing along with us at Paper Sundaes!

Wendy

Christine said...

What a great card, love all of your distressing and stitching! Thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes this week!

Lilian said...

Lovely coloring and I like your mix of colors. The doily you used is something I have not seen before. Very nice addition. :) Thanks for joining the Sugar Bowl Challenge!

stampingandstitching said...

Gorgeous card Julie - it's so cute and girlie! Wonderful design and details. I love your colouring and the sparkle too!

I've never heard of washing digi images under the tap, I would have thought it would make more of a mess and get soggy that way. But I've heard it's a good idea to set the ink with a heat gun or else have the image photocopied in a shop. The copiers use toner which is permanent so the ink won't run.

Tara Godfrey said...

WOW this is absolutely gorgeous, Julie! I love the Olivia pad but haven't got my hands on it yet. Such a pretty image and coloured beautifully! Love the card layout too! Thanks so much for joining us at the BG Challenge!
Hugs,t

Annika said...

Wow, love the colouring and the way you have cut some patterns of the papers out of the frame - adds such dimension and interest!
And that doily is just lush, where did you get it???
Hugs
Annika

June Houck said...

Congrats on your CCC position! I look forward to your creations there...but I will always follow you here at "Oh Well..."

Beautiful card, my friend :)

p.s. I have not had much luck with digis either. I will have to try the water technique.

Mina said...

wow Julie what a stunning card...I love this SN image shes beautiful...what problems are you having with your digis...send me an email and I will see if I can help
Mina xxx

Nana said...

Very pretty card, great choice of papers and colors!
Thank you for joining us at "Paper Sundaes" this week. Hope to see you again!
hugs Nana

Heather said...

Hi Julie who didn't know what day it was yesterday and forgot to show us her desk!! Gorgeous card, love the beautiful soft colours and colouring. Beautiful image and I just love how you've cut the edges.
So glad you could join us at the Basic Grey
hugs Heather xx

ps Could be me who said wash your image I do that when I forget to put my printer on draft or quick print. I've done a tutorial on it - it's in my sidebar - top left 3rd down in tutorials. There's several ways of overcoming the problem. Try them all see what works for you. Email me if it would help.

XxJULESxX said...

oh! so beautiful love the colours!

 
type='text/javascript'>