Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Had the best idea ....

.... but it was too late, I'd already finished the card!!  It's Tuesday again, and time for another fortnightly challenge from Creative Card Crew.  The challenge this time is called "Sparkle and Shine" and we are sponsored by The Digi Shack.  The DT were offered our choice of digi images so I very carefully chose one that I hoped would colour OK after printing from my printer. I immediately thought of a Beatles-loving friend of ours when I saw the submarine image and so I decided to make his birthday card (some months early!).  Here's my card:


I used the sketch from this week's Create 4 Fun.  I'm also entering it into Totally Papercrafts (rainbow - I think the stripy paper contains (nearly) all the colours!).

As it's a card for a man, I've used more shine than sparkle.  The shine is the windows in the sub (glossy accents) and also the metal, both real in the brads and faux in the heat embossed port-hole.  I've added sparkle to the water and the bubbles with stickles.  I changed my mind about things quite a lot - the background cardstock went from green to blue to black during the making of the card.  I coloured the water with distress inks, but chickened out and coloured the sub with prismas 'cos I was afraid that the inks would smear the image. Here's a close-up:


Recipe:
Image: The Digi Shack
Papers: Fancy Pants "About a Boy"
Colouring Media: Distress Inks and Prisma pencils
Other: Silver e.p., Eucalyptus and Stardust Stickles, Doodlebug brads, black mesh from stash, needle + thread

And what was my great idea - I was just sticking the last piece down when I realised that the sub was very "steam-punk" looking, and that it would look fab on a card made in that style.  Gaaaaah!!!

Thanks for looking!

9 comments :

Mel said...

Oh Julie its stunning!
So love this image, well have to go get it now hee!
Hugs melly xxx

Sue said...

Hi Julie
fabulous card, luv the porthole, lovely papers & design, thank you for joining us at Totally Papercrafts this week, hope to see you next week, sue,x

Evil Edna said...

I think it is very riot girl and you should be V. proud also it is good for all ages, but would love to see a steam punk one.
tootles
EE

Timi said...

That's so cool, really good for a man. Timixx

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Great card, Julie! Love the port hole and all the shine and embossing! I really like the papers and color palette you used too. As for the Steampunk, well hey, make another card using the same image. I'll bet it will be fantastic! Wonderful job on this week's challenge.

Hope you are having a great week!

Hugs,
Linda

Denise @ kc242 said...

Wow what a adorable card. I love the submarine image! It does remind me of the yellow submarine from the Beatles too! What a great take on the challenge.
Denise

stampingandstitching said...

What a wonderful masculine birthday card Julie and the yellow submarine is perfect of a Beatles fan! Love the metal porthole with the great underwater scene and all the gorgeous layering and texture on the bg!

Lorraine A said...

fabulous card Julie :-) I love the submarine image and the porthole is fantastic !! Love how you made that !! gorgeous papers too ,,, perfect :-)

thanks for joining us on the TPC :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Unknown said...

Fabulous card Julie, I love the image, LO and the wonderfully coloured dp.

Thanks for joining us this week at Totally Papercrafts.

Hugs

Joanne x

 
type='text/javascript'>