Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Lots of ....

.... in-jokes in the project I'm showing you today. 

I rarely make very personalised cards, apart from adding a name or an age.  I can't imagine anything worse than having to make a card for a 70 year old school caretaker who likes drinking whiskey and betting on racehorses (this was a real card a crafting buddy had to make - I would have said "No" to that particular commission and ran screaming in the opposite direction)!!

Friends of ours had a joint 40th birthday party on Saturday night - it was a vinyl party, everyone had to bring old records - we had a very odd mix of 60s soul, 70s disco and 80s electronic, based on the age and record collections of those present!  The birthday couple, especially the guy, are big fans of Father Ted and can quote great chunks of the episodes verbatim, so we decided to get them a copy of The Specials "Ghost Town" as a joke present and base the card/gift holder around it.  Here's what I made:

Front cover:


Inside, with pocket for gift cards on left, and 7" record holder on right:


Here's a close-up of the Mo Manning dancing nuns image.  For embellishment, I typed out various Father Ted quotes and stuck them down, haven't put close ups 'cos some of them are a bit rude (nothing stopping you from clicking on the image, though)!!


It was a busy weekend, on Sunday we went to a car show.  The weather was glorious.   Here's a few pics:

The two Minis we brought - blue Traveller to the front, black Cooper behind:


Some fab VW camper vans and a divine Fiat 500:


The Minis all lined up in the sunshine:


And I was delighted to finally meet a fellow blogger, Margie.  She and I have been talking for over two years, but have never met in real life until now - it was an absolute pleasure to chat to her and her lovely niece, Rommeij.  Here we are in front of Margie's lovely Morris Minor Traveller - and see that necklace I'm wearing, it made an interesting pattern on my sunburn - the bit I forgot to put sunblock on.  Duh! 



(Iif you were wondering about the Father Ted/Ghost Town connection, here's a utube video of the piece of the relevant episode)



Thanks for looking!

6 comments :

Evil Edna said...

oooh I love that bit!It is so hard to hear the song without thinking of Father Ted. great gift idea.EE

Dotty Jo said...

Thanks for a great post Julie! I've had a lousy day at work but you've really cheered me up, Jo x

Unknown said...

So wonderful card! :)

Margie’s daughter Leiny said...

Great card Julie, the nuns look so funny and the Father Ted quotes are excellent.The Vinyl party sounds like it was great fun. Love the photos of the Car Show, it was a real pleasure to meet you. Funny you should mention sunburn, my poor nose looks like Rudolf's. Father Ted always makes me laugh, so thanks for posting. Big hugs, Margie.

Deirdre said...

Great photos of the minis - they all look fab. Fab creation - love it all. The nuns are just BRILLANT! Enjoy your weekend.

June Houck said...

Those nuns are so FUN! I was not familiar with Father Ted, so I appreciate the video. (I also clicked to see your quotes! Great idea to include those.)

I hope the vinyl party was a lot of fun. I am so happy you were able to meet a blogger friend IRL. I have met two of mine myself…such fun!

xo June

 
type='text/javascript'>