Thursday, March 24, 2011

I put slightly too much ....

effort into what turned into my DT entry for PaperPlay this week!!!

Our theme is "Distressing" - hey, I can do that no problem!!  I had plans to make a gorgeously ripped, inked and torn confection .... but I got a bit side-tracked. 

Remember my son's birthday party a few weeks ago?  I had taken photos of all the boys as they climbed, and then I thought that rather than emailing the pics to their parents and simply texting thank yous for the presents (as would be the norm around here!), why not combine the two and make thank you cards that incorporate the pictures?  Genius?  No, a flippin' week's work that pushed everything else aside!!  Here's a few of the finished cards:


Each boy's card has a picture of him on the climbing wall on the inside, with a peep-hole cut to show just a little bit of him through to the front of the card.  Each card has the hole in a different place, depending on where the boy was on the wall in the photo.  You can see it better on this close-up.


I used a new Hero Arts "inside of an envelope" stamp, that I got with a voucher I won a few weeks ago, to make the pattern on the plain white card I used for the front.  And I made the sentiment on the computer, highlighting the T with glossy accents and popping them up over the twine for a little dimension. 


I'm entering them into the following challenges: Crafty Creations and ABC Challenge are both looking for stitching and, a first time entering a clean and simple challenge for me, Less is More ("Masculine").

And that's it - I think they look far too simple for the amount of time they took, but I think the boys (and their Mums) will be happy to receive them, and that's what matters.

I posted them all this morning, so now I can get back to all my lovely papers and do REAL distressing!!

Thanks for looking!

17 comments :

Anonymous said...

Amazing project, what a fantastic way to give the photos to everyone. I have been rock climbing for years by the way, you should keep it up, its great fun!! There are lots of kids clubs starting up for it too, if your son enjoyed it its a fantastic sport to get into!

Chrissie said...

Welcome to "Less is More".
What a lovely idea to make these cards as a thank you!
Despite having no 'white space' which we like to see at "Less is More" in our challenge entries, they do have clean lines and I think they look great!
I hope you'll join in our new challenge with a CAS card on Saturday!
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Suze Bain said...

Super cards and what a fab idea.

AN said...

Kaunis ja tyylikäs setti--värit hillittyjä!
tykkään tästä !
Kiitos osallistumisesta ABC-haasteeseen -paljon onnea arvontaan!
Aurinkoisia kevätpäiviä sinulle!

June Houck said...

Cute cards, Julie! You could enter these at Betty Bee's Buzz challenge too (twine).

I've missed seeing your creations; so glad you had a chance to play in your craft room.

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog! If I ever get a chance to visit Ireland, I would love to meet you in person!

Vera Yates (Ling) said...

Julie, this is awesome! Not simple at all! :)

Bea said...

Gorgeous!

Thanks for joining us at ABC Challenge this week

Bea

Mandi said...

Love the look of these cards, fit the CAS genre great
Thanks so much
mandi
"Less is More"

pickle said...

ooh I love these..what a super idea. well worth all the effort :)
Kerry x

Mina said...

oh wow Julie what a fantastic idea and they are so fantastically designed, the parents will so love them
Mina xxx
p.s. I think I will be able to manage Majorca, Im so good to my Husband arent I managing to go lol

Ren-Yi said...

oh this is absolulte fab. love the clean style!

Sylvie said...

Wonderful cards
Hug Sylvie x

Jo Nevill said...

What a lovely idea, I am sure the boys and the parents will be thrilled with these cards which can be kept as keepsakes - well done you !

I'm thrilled to be joining you at Paperplay !

Hugs,

Jo x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Wow what a project, but I would have thought everyone would have been thrilled to bits with "their" card. FAB work, love them

Susan said...

Julie, that's a fabulous way to say thank you! I bet the parents loved this!!!

mfc.melissamade2 said...

So fun!!! Great cards - thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations this week!
Hugs,
M

Annika said...

Cool way of giving photos - I never think of clever stuff like that!
Oh and I don't mind about the sentiment at all - the design was from Whimsy Stamps but that saying has been around for a long time so nobody really owns it! :)
Hugs
Annika

 
type='text/javascript'>